Business Retention & Expansion

Wilsonville’s new and existing business support program focuses on helping businesses gain awareness of available resources, and helping businesses thrive by linking them to community, regional, state, federal, and private-sector partners.   The Economic Development Division can provide assistance with workforce training and recruitment, exporting, financing, and more. 

Outreach visits are scheduled to:
  • improve communication between local government and businesses in the community;
  • help businesses gain awareness of available resources;
  • help businesses solve their problems;
  • convey the community’s appreciation for their contributions to the local economy; and
  • identify opportunities to help businesses grow and expand in Wilsonville.
If you would like to schedule a visit, contact City Hall at 503-682-4960.

New and Existing Business Resources

Starting a Business in Oregon
  • Oregon's Business Xpress - An online portal providing state resources for starting, expanding and operating a business in Oregon.
  • The Secretary of State’s website provides business start-up information. Their Oregon Business Guide provides basic information about starting a business in Oregon including a list of recommendations.
  • Employer's Guide for Doing Business in Oregon (PDF) - This guide provides information on laws, regulations and taxation requirements for businesses with employees.

Supply Chain Information

The NWConnectory® Network
The NWConnectory® Network is a Buyer-Supplier Network that connects businesses by understanding their capabilities and which provides a powerful means for government, large company, and institutional buyers to identify sources of products and services.  It focuses on manufacturing/technology businesses and their supply chain through a powerful search engine combined with in-depth business databases.

International Trade, US Export Compliance and Export Resources

Expeditors is a global logistics company headquartered in Seattle, Washington that provides customized international trade solutions including US export compliance, air and ocean freight consolidation and forwarding, vendor consolidation, customs clearance, cargo insurance, distribution and other value added logistics services.   

Office of International Trade – SBA
The SBA's office for the support of small business international trade development, works in cooperation with other federal agencies and public- and private sector-groups to encourage small business exports, and to assist small business seeking to export.    

US Export Assistance Center
The Portland Export Assistance Center is part of an international network of global professionals that helps US companies: 
  • identify and evaluate international partners
  • navigate international documentation challenges
  • create market entry strategies
  • other export related guidance
Their Beginning Exporter’s Resource Guide is designed to help you succeed in the global marketplace. 

Licenses and Permits

City Business License - All businesses within the city limits of Wilsonville must obtain a city business license and are subject to transit tax requirements. Even if your business office is located outside of the city limits and you only do business occasionally in Wilsonville, you still need a city business license and are subject to local tax. For more information, contact Shelly Marcotte at 503-570-1586.

Construction and Landscape Contractor's Business License If you are doing business in multiple cities in the Metro area, the Metro regional government offers a single Regional Contractor's Business License which allows contractor's to do business within 20 different cities. It covers all construction trades, commercial, residential, and landscape contractors. To qualify for a Metro license, you must:
  • be licensed with the Oregon Construction Contractors Board or licensed with the Oregon Landscape Contractors Board;
  • have a corresponding city license if your principal place of business is located in any of the 20 cities honoring the Metro license;
  • earn $250,000 or less in gross receipts per year per city honoring the Metro license, or hold a city license for any city listed in which that dollar limit is exceeded.
The non-refundable fee for the license is $135.  For more information about obtaining a Metro license call 503-797-1710 or visit their website

Development Review, Zoning, and Business Signage - The City's Planning Division manages development review, zoning, and building signage.  Please see their webpage for a complete list of Land Use Application fees and forms including the Development Review Application.

Building Permits - For a complete list of permit application and forms, please see the City's Building Division webpage.